Sunday, June 26, 2016

A Beautifully Mended Princess Leia

So many things have been challenging, as you all know.

Okay, the bad news is still the bad news.  If you have read this blog, you know my diagnosis.

Today, though, I want to celebrate something wonderful.  The Princess Leia coffee cup has been remade.




And here's the other side!


As I wrote in the Charleston City Paper, I have loved this cup for over a decade.  Now, I can love it again, as a work of art.  As an inspiration at a time when I can too easily feel broken.

This is a big deal.  This speaks to who I am and what I care about.

Yes, I have cancer. Yes, it sucks.  For today, though, I am inspired.

Brian's Postscript:

For this amazing and elegant work of kintsugi art, we have to thank the kind and talented folks at Lakeside Pottery in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  Patty and Morty, the owners, have repaired and restored ancient and priceless pottery, but they quickly took on this project, for Alison's sake.  Thank you for this incredible work!

Alison and I nominate Lakeside Pottery as the very coolest business in Delaware.

7 comments:

  1. I love this and the artists that did it. Wishing you more moments of joy, wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Let's hear it for the kind people of Lakeside Pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the end of the day, it's the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Thank you Lakeside Pottery! I just love that you get a bit of this ancient "repair" --

    ReplyDelete