Thursday, November 12, 2015

National Women's Studies Association, day 1

Alison, Karlyn, and Rory with a great big selfie. I am
waiting for my food to emerge.  Come on, food!
I ran twice today to get to the airplanes I was riding.  I sat between two very nice people in both flights.  When I got there, I headed to the hotel I'd reserved, but I changed my reservation because now I'm a block or two closer to the conference.  The windy, freezing place.

And here I am!

Today I have eaten a bowl of cereal, a medium sized bag of M&M peanuts, a small bag of popcorn, and the random stuff they give you on the plane (two cookies, one tiny bag of pretzels).  Finally, after I'd gotten to the conference and had made my first presentation, and after I'd gone back to the room and reemerged to the bar with everybody, I got some food:  cheese and crackers.

Cheese!  Because we're in Milwaukee!

At the cheese-loaded bar, I got to hang out with some of my best National Women's Studies Association friends.  I've been attending this conference for about 15 years.  Two years ago I was at another conference and couldn't go (let me assure you that NWSA is much cooler than the place I went).  Last year I wasn't able to go to NWSA--at the last minute I withdrew because I was just too tired rising up from the radiation.  I wasn't fully functional last year until December.

This time, though, I think I can do it.  It's been two years.  I want to be here.  I'll rest--I'll take it easy--I promise.  This is an opportunity to practice communication and to get hugs every time I turn around.  I have three presentations (maybe not the GREATEST thing, but still) on three different days, so I'll have time to rest.

I'm grateful and excited.  Let's see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been a mouse that stowed away in your luggage. I'd sit in your room and wait for you to rock the presentations and then share the cheese with you. Have fun, Allison!

    ReplyDelete