Saturday, June 13, 2015

Day 4 of the Society for Disability Studies conference

This conference has been great.  First of all, there are a lot of impressive people who are impressive for a reason:  they are super-cool and offer up fantastic ideas.  George Estreich was on a panel that was being moderated by Rosemarie Garland-Thomson, and literally every person on the panel was interesting.  Often at academic panels there's one person that you kindly applaud for, but whose presentation is "Eh."  But there wasn't anybody like that at this panel.

I would tell you more, but let's move on to second of all.

Second of all, I'm getting to hang out with some of the people listed/alluded.  George and I have been hanging out, and I think my dream is finally true:  he's my non-romantic boyfriend.  He's as kind and sweet as he is brilliant.  Hello, George.  Welcome to stepping into a more important role in my life.

And, of course, I had two people I love.  They used to be students of mine, but now that they've graduating (a couple of years ago), I can tell them that I love them.  Amber and Beck, I'm delighted to get to see you!  And get to eat with you!  And xoxo!

There are other people who would fit this role, but let's move on to the third of all.

Food!  We've had some tasty food, including one of the chicken and waffle restaurants that has become standard and delicious in the south.  George (ahem, NRB) and I had dinner there one night.  At other places I've gotten satisfying coffee and bagels.  Got delicious breakfast with Amber and Beck. Got an on-the-street hot dog.  Eating--in fancy or low-key ways--is a satisfying part of conferences.

And here comes a satisfying part of conferences.

Three glasses of water lined up on the fancy table.  
In this picture, I wanted to celebrate the water I'd been drinking at a restaurant:  a fancy line-up of water.  I'd been drinking already, as you can tell.

Related, maybe: When one person asked me about my brain tumor, I felt like the table grew silent and our table of people were listening carefully.  I may be making that up, but in general my brain tumor gets people's attention even when I'm not thinking about that.

Okay, the electricity went out at the restaurant, and we ultimately had to leave.  Most of our dinner folks went off for later dinner, but I went back to the hotel.  Here's a celebration in my room:

I guess you can tell without me needing to
explaining everything here, right? My life.
There's more today.  I'm going to get more photos so that you can see more of this conference.  Day 4!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting my day with a smile! Happy to imagine you enjoying the conference and good food with your NRB.

    ReplyDelete