Thursday, November 3, 2016

Alison's Final Essay: Love, Students, and Teaching


Brian McGee here.  Today, I am posting Alison's final essay, which has been published in the Fall 2016 issue of the College of Charleston magazine.

By "final," I mean this is the last essay on which Alison worked.  Alison wrote prolifically, of course, and some of her work will be printed and reprinted in the future.

Here's the full text of the essay:

As I write these words, I am terminally ill and in hospice care.  This is likely my final writing assignment.

Instead of writing an essay, I've been thinking of this assignment as my love letter for Charleston.  Not about Maybelle, my daughter, or Brian, my husband -- though you could say I have them both in my life because of my years in Charleston.  Nor is this a love letter about a physical place.  I won't reflect on riding my bicycle through our beautiful campus (well, I didn't really love riding my bike through sudden downpours and Charleston's flooded streets).  And I won't dwell on the long hours I spent in my former basement office at 7 College Way or drinking coffee and eating bagels at every coffee shot on the peninsula, though I took delight in every one of those moments.
Illustration by Britt Spencer. 

This is a love letter for my College of Charleston students, and for my profession.  Love is the right word, I think, because my kind of teaching is about passionate engagement with, and enthusiasm about, ideas, social problems and people.  I couldn't imagine merely "liking" teaching.

You may be wondering, what have my students done that makes me love our time together?  They have studied and strived, although complaining more than a little about the amount of reading and writing and the difficulty of the material.  The excitement for me and for them -- and the passion -- is in growing to understand how difficult material matters and why difficult subjects must be engaged.

Community engagement has been critical to this kind of teaching.  Years ago, some of our women's and gender studies learning-community students traveled to Washington, D.C., to meet with women in elected office and women who lead nongovernmental organizations.  More regularly, my Gender and Violence students performed community service with agencies dealing with violence against women and children.  As advocates for victims in the Charleston's solicitor's office or as volunteers with People Against Rape and many other organizations, these amazing students did immediate and lasting good.  For me, teaching them was about bridging the classroom and the community.

Calling them "my students," though, isn't quite right.  Because I learned from them, as they learned from me.  And we grew together as people.

If you were ever in one of my classes, know that I love you now for the risks you took, the challenging topics you weren't afraid to discuss, and everything you did to make yourself -- and me -- a better person.

I am sorry, so sorry, that I will not teach and learn from College of Charleston students in the decades to come.  I won't be meeting any more classes for the first time in the Robert Scott Small Building or Maybank Hall or the Education Center.

However, I do leave the College knowing the beauty of my profession.  I leave knowing the great good that can be done when teacher and student are emotionally invested in learning and in the hard work of changing their world for the better.  I also leave knowing that faculty like Claire Curtis (political science) and Marguerite Scott-Copses (English) and Caray DeLay (women's and gender studies), and so many others at the College, are all that is good and right and wonderful about professors and their profession.

46 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I've read Alison's writing here and in her previous blog for over 10 years. We did not know each other, but her writing changed me in the best possible way. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to share her with us. Peace and Blessings to you and Maybelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katherine. To you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don't believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or call him +2349055637784 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can obtains some tips on essay writing reading this article. Its very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your final essay on teaching really good, I use his few lines in my speech thanks for share it rate my college essay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, AM Lisa by name, I am testifying about Dr. Ken the
    Great herbalist, who has the cure for all diseases, who cured me the
    HIV disease, even if I have included it, went through the different website seen
    Different testimonials about different herbalists that was like, "many people
    It has the cure of HIV because people continue to suffer its consequences "
    I thought about it, so I got in touch with Dr. Ken by email
    I do not think much, I just wanted to give it a try, he replied.
    Mail and you need some information for me, then I sent you, you prepared
    Cured and shipped via UPS courier, I was told it would take 3-4 days
    Before receiving the package, 3 days later I received the package and started
    Take the medications prescribed by him after 7 days of taking
    Medication, I went to a test, I tried the HIV NEGATIVE.
    I give thanks to my faithful God. IF YOU ARE NEEDED You will be healed, put it yourself
    Contact Dr. Ken in whats-app .. whats, or call +2349054872932, email it
    kakutaspellz@gmail.com

    (THIS TYPE OF DISEASES BABA SPECIALIZED IN)
    {1} HIV / AIDS
    {2 CANCER
    {3} HERPES
    {4} DIABETES
    (5) HEPATITIS B & C
    6) HERBAL PREGNANCY MEDICINE.
    report


    Contact him via my email address: kakutaspellz@gmail.com
    Mobile Number: +2349054872932
    http://kakutaspellz.wixsite.com/kakutatemple

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is very attractive and the info is awesome. I liked your blog.


    How to become a funeral director

    ReplyDelete
  8. You talk about Final Essay. Every students love this. I think , If you want to know about The List of 75 Best Capstone Topics visit the website

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post, I think all depends on the teachers and if they are given good rewards then definitely they can change the nation. Now case study writing service are available online with the help of students to write essays without grammar and spelling mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dissertation could be your last barrier to beat from the bronchial hallways in to the actual life. For the truly ready, nevertheless, it could truly be the steppingstone transition. this site is really good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alison was a great writer. A student teacher relationship is based on love and respect. For professional essays residency personal statement writing services are good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A British proof-reader may make life easier mostly for people that spend a lot of the time writing mails, articles and other electronic records. Writing correct English can be an ability that teaches you're dedicated to communicate clearly with other people. good site always helpfule to all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The MBA essay part of the company school application can be the own time to shine. Discover how to make use of each article to highlight specific strengths of one's application and put your very best foot forward. read more and it'll help you to know more about the academic papers writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. According to this passage this is the last essay in which the Alison worked with the better and efficient way. There is the time in which you can find the writing of love with statement of purpose psychology and meet the students of Charleston students.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alison piepmeier your post title is final essay relevant. Thats suggest love, Students, Teaching etc. Please write nursing capstone paper for me. I am waiting for your another informative article.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every little thing matter in our life. We should give proper value to our love and the person we love. We are still the student of this beautiful nature. visit the site if want to know more about the writing of your academic papers, research papers and thesis editing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you want to learn more about Indianapolis 500 – You need to know more about Verizon IndyCar Series visit: https://www.indy500live.net/

    ReplyDelete


  18. Thanks you Dr climent Scott, for the restoration of my marriage. We have been separated for a 4 years. I started searching on the net for people who God restored their marriages and I found Dr climent the great spell caster how he has help so many relationship by his spell casting with his contact , i contact him for help suddenly after the spell casting my husband return back home 2 days after the spell casting and ask for forgiveness and now we are living together happily once again thank you Dr climent for your help. email Dr climent for help EMAIL via: whatsapp him +2347036879479 or email him drclimentscott@gmail.com / drclimentscott@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  19. Thanks you Dr climent Scott, for the restoration of my marriage. We have been separated for a 4 years. I started searching on the net for people who God restored their marriages and I found Dr climent the great spell caster how he has help so many relationship by his spell casting with his contact , i contact him for help suddenly after the spell casting my husband return back home 2 days after the spell casting and ask for forgiveness and now we are living together happily once again thank you Dr climent for your help. email Dr climent for help EMAIL via: whatsapp him +2347036879479 or email him drclimentscott@gmail.com / drclimentscott@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have seen that every person wants to express their feelings but they are not able to express their feelings properly in words but the content you have written in your post is very beautiful, it seems that you have expressed your feelings Has expressed. Hi, you are a person who writes a very beautiful post, in the same way, you keep writing new posts in your life, our best wishes are with you. Clothing
    Bussiness Dropshipping
    establish good relationship
    Gurgaon VIP Girl
    Gurugram Party Girl
    Gurgaon Dating Girl
    VIP Girl Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is great to see your beautiful post, such a post is rarely seen, I am really impressed by your post and I hope that you will keep writing more similar posts in your life.
    cheap Girls In Gurugram
    Modal Girls in Baga Beach
    Hostel girl gurugram
    Gurugram vip girl
    Gurugram party girls
    Gurgaon dateing girl
    Naughty Girl Gurugram

    ReplyDelete
  23. Getting rib of Herpes virus wasn't easy, I came across Dr voodoo on how he
    has cured so many people from herpes and other illness so I decided to give
    him a try, now am permanently cured using the natural herbs medication and
    cleansing supplement sent by Dr voodoo no more herpes, contact Dr voodoo
    WhatsApp number +2348140120719 also e-mail him at:
    voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is not easy to write such a good paper

    ReplyDelete