Monday, December 21, 2015

What should I write?

It's been a while since I've written for The City Paper, and I'd like to connect with them.  It's okay if I write about my brain tumor, since I hear about this all the time from Charleston and all over the country.  But I need to write something that's not exactly what I've written before.  For instance, Chris at The City Paper said, "And it’s cool to mention your ongoing trouble with words, but do so sparingly bc we’ve touched on that several times."  I see what he's saying--I do think about communication all the time, but it's not all that exciting for any of you all.

So:  any ideas?  That's truly why I'm writing this.  Give me some thoughts.  I might be inspired and will write an article for the paper.


7 comments:

  1. Topic: Maybelle and her grandmother (Kelly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear more about Maybelle! What are her thoughts about Christmas? Has Star Wars infiltrated her world the way it's infiltrating every thing else?

    Even NPR's Ted Radio Hour ran a piece about Star Wars. I guess George Lucas was good friends with Joseph Campbell, who was credited with documenting the common blueprint of hero journeys, complete with 17 "stages that protagonists undergo to emerge as heroes."

    I read elsewhere that The Force Awakens has a "strong feminist streak" - would a "feminist" blueprint be different from the Campbell version?

    I hope your own recovery is calmer than a "hero's journey" - less action and obstacles and more quiet healing and donuts ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen SWVII? It was FANTASTIC and it does indeed have a bad ass feminist in the lead. Can't wait to hear your take on it (hint!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I'm assuming of course -hopefully not erroneously- that you are well enough for a flick? It sounds like you're still teaching and getting out - if not, I'll make it my mission to arrange private viewing :) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing pretty well. I've had to change what I'm doing a bit--less teaching, more administrative work and writing--but I'm still fairly functionally,

      Delete