Friday, October 25, 2013

It's been a big week for me in the media.

My new publicity photo*
And by "big week," I mean I've shown up in the media twice.  But, hey, twice--that's pretty big for me!

I wrote--for the first time in a long time--my column for the Charleston City Paper:  "The Benefits of Being a Bitch."  Let me tell you, this piece has gotten loads of comments--on Facebook, in my email, in my real life.  It has resonated with readers in a way I wasn't expecting.  I might write my next column about how dramatic (and affirming) the comments have been.

I was also featured today as part of "Feminists We Love" at The Feminist Wire.  This was such an honor, and it was especially wonderful to be interviewed by Heather Talley, who's a scholar I've known since we were both at Vanderbilt.  Heather asked such great questions!  In this interview I talked several times about being a radical bitch--so without intending it, this has been a week when being a bitch--in the best way--has been my theme.

So let me end with a quote from Andi Zeisler and Lisa Jervis, the founders of Bitch magazine:
When it's being used as an insult, "bitch" is an epithet hurled at women who speak their minds, who have opinions and don't shy away from expressing them, and who don't sit by and smile uncomfortably if they're bothered or offended.  If being an outspoken woman means being a bitch, we'll take that as a compliment, thanks.

Hell, yeah.


*Leslie McKellar takes a fine publicity photo.  Thanks, Leslie!

No comments:

Post a Comment