Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Alison and her big hair on HuffPost Live

I was just interviewed on HuffPost Live as an expert on prenatal testing and Down syndrome, and as a parent of a child with Down syndrome.  Fabulous experts Brian Skotko and Stephanie Meredith were also being interviewed (and is it fair for me to claim credit since I suggested that both of them be included?).

"Counseling for Prenatal Testing" = the link.

My only complaint was that at the end the only person called "Dr." was Brian.  Let's all remember that I, too, am a Dr!

On the advice of several colleagues, I wore my hair down.  My Nashville friend Jay just wrote on Facebook, "Awesome, just caught the end live. Way to go! And your hair was representing."

I'm going to assume that's a compliment.

6 comments:

  1. It was great to be featured with you, Alison! And for the record, I loved your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! It was great to be featured with you, too!

      Delete
  2. Loved your comments, Alison, and I'm so glad you brought up the language being used in the convo, especially the use of "healthy." You did great and your hair WAS representing! I share all your stuff and tell everyone, "That's my mentor!!"

    The only thing I wished someone had talked about was socioeconomics and race as far as access to prenatal healthcare and counseling and medical/general education. Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone mentioned it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock Alison, I mean Dr Alison :). And your hair rocked too. Great points made....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Alison! Amazing interview! I'm 38 weeks pregnant and found out at week 18 that our baby had DS and AVSD (a heart condition associated with DS). Your interview was so encouraging to someone about to birth a baby girl into this world in less then 2 weeks! Two points that I will forever keep with me as I raise my own daughter with DS -

    1. The comment from your husband - "This child doesn't have to pass a test to be a member of the family".

    2. Your comment about your daughter -"DS is not a tragedy, it's a form of diversity that my child has and is a positive thing that she brings to the world!"

    Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!!!
    PS. Go Dores!

    Marcie (Nashville)

    ReplyDelete